Friday, June 20, 2014

June 20, 2014..The Pendulum Returns, or better yet - Return of the Pendulum.....

The Pendulum.......We finally found something about the pendulum that we can understand.

This is the fancy way to explain it....

As explained by Galileo, we know that the period of a pendulum can be described mathematically by the following equation:
Where:
P = period; which is the time for one pendulum swing [sec]
l = length from the fixed point at the top of the pendulum to the center of mass of the bob [m]
g = gravitational constant (9.8 m per sec2)
π ≈ 3.14 (dimensionless constant)
Note that this equation does not include terms for the mass of the pendulum or the angle it swings through. The only factor that significantly affects the swing of a pendulum on Earth is the length of its string.

What this really means is that the bob is pulled by force. What keeps the pendulum going is inertia. Inertia is that an object will stay motionless or in movement UNLESS it is interrupted by an outside force. It means an object will keep going until something like friction will stop it. Or if it's a car, brakes will stop it. Or if there's no air friction or you forgot to apply the brakes, you'll get a ticket! So make sure you apply the brakes!!! PHEW!!!!!

Look! We're on a Pendulum!!!
So..when you swing, you are a pendulum! When you go down, the thing that makes you move, pushes you back up until either you stop pumping you legs to let air friction stop you or you apply your brakes (your legs on the ground) to stop. (Ok, editor's light bulb just went on - I never understood inertia)

I get this now!!! Woo-hoo!!!

Moving on......

I have 3 baby watermelons!!!! They are only about a 1/2 big right now. But it's as much as we've had! I'm guessing starting them in early spring really helped!!! I have a feeling we'll have lots and lots of watermelons this year!!!
isn't it cute??

Oh, and Mom and I kinda entered a contest to help name a loggerhead sea turtle for the Tour de Turtles. (http://www.tourdeturtles.org/) The name I choose was SEAlestia. A spin off of CElestia, which means heavenly. My inspiration was My Little Pony, of course! Yes, I'm a Bronie and proud of it! We'll see next week if they pick my idea, which is only 2 days away. 

Here is a cool video about sea turtles. The man talking (in white - David Godfrey) is the man that sent me that cool stuff from the conservancy!!!! His last name Godfrey kinda sounds like Galifrey (Dr. Who's home planet)

Guess what?? MINI FIGURES ONLINE CAME OUT!!!!! This is the game I've been waiting for since I got the Legos magazine in May! I played it from 3 until dinnertime last night, because Daddy forgot about me. hehehehehe.....Oh by the way, dinner was DELICIOUS last night. Grandmama made steak and baked potatoes....and I ate about 17 or 18 french peas, but I can't speak french yet. I did speak spanish tho.....Hola! La nina es bebe.....Better yet, La nina es beben aqua. Cool, huh? Thanks, Rosetta Stone!!!!

That's all for now.
Stay tuned 'til tomorrow!!





1 comment:

  1. Hi William! I saw your comment on my blog... sorry I've been gone so long! Summer gets kind of busy for me! I don't have time to look at a lot of blogs tonight, but when I saw you had commented, I had to make sure to come thank you for worrying about me! It sounds like you've been really busy too. I love the name you submitted for the sea turtle. And thanks for the info about the pendulum. I didn't know all that. All I do know is, I love the pendulum ride at the carnival!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. They will appear after they have been reviewed!