Wednesday, January 22, 2014

It's ELEMENTAL......January 22, 2014

This is me as a chemist last year
Well, today I didn't feel so well. I didn't even go to ballet. BUT, I did get to watch a really cool documentary (a movie or show based on actual events)  The movie was about the elements! I love the elements! They exploded stuff like a car with C4. C4 is a plastic explosive made from cyclotrimethylene-trinitramine (C3H6N6O6). I can't pronounce this but I know it has the elements carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen and oxygen. 

They also dug up GOLD. Gold is an element found in the underground mines. They had to dig from the top dirt all the way down to the good ole' rock. After they well, extract the gold from the dirt (a very long process) they "fire" it at about 2000 degrees F. It takes one whole truckload of dirt to make 1 gold ingot! 1 ingot weighs between 27 to 31 kgs!!!! That's about what I weigh!!!!! Oh and the chemical name for gold is Au!

They also talked about bronze. Bronze isn't an element. It's made from tin and copper. Cool! The chemical name for tin is Sn and the chemical name for copper is Cu. I plan on memorizing the WHOLE PERIODIC TABLE!!!!!

It was a fun documentary. I will watch it again!

I worked on math again today and ELA. In ELA I'm learning reading comprehension. I'm going to write a book report on The Magician's Nephew. I guess it's an OK book. I'm not sure yet. Though at night I'm reading The Lord of the Rings, The Twin Towers.( I like that better) 

Well, that all for today. Stay tuned for tomorrow!

TO BE CONTINUED.....

(We love comments! But, please sign your names so I can address you when I reply! THANKS!!!!)





6 comments:

  1. William, even tho you didn't feel well today you learned a lot and documented it perfertly so we all can understand. Two thumbs up. Feel better little buddy....love and hugs, Aunt Donna ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gold! I like gold too. You look pretty big, how tall are you and what do you weigh, I would like a chunk of gold that size!
    I have a fun science site for you to check out when you are done with your school work. Hope you find something fun there.
    Science fun for kids - It's free!
    sparticl.org
    Come explore fun science games, videos and activities.
    Hope you feel better! Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's the first thing you should learn in chemistry?



    Never lick the spoon.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting stuff William. Sounds like you are learning a ton and by reporting it on your blog, reinforces what you learned.....great job, very proud of you !! Uncle Ken

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. They will appear after they have been reviewed!