Tuesday, January 14, 2014

January 14, 2014 Ice Balls and other stuff

Good morning! Today I am tired! I have a little cold. But, my Mom is still making me go to "school". Here is the latest report on ice balls.

beep, beep, beep.....

We did some research on the internet. We found this article:


Hi, I'm Bryan Yeaton and this is the Weather Notebook.
In yesterday's segment, listener Ann Alpern of Buffalo, New York asked us if we could help her identify the large round objects she found on the shore of Lake Erie after an autumn storm.
We called regular Weather Notebook contributor and meteorologist Keith Heidorn to find out what Ms. Alpern found.
"What the questioner saw are called appropriately enough, ice balls and are likely common on the Great Lakes during the winter. Their formation early in the cold season arises because Lake Erie is the shallowest of the Great Lakes. It normally freezes beginning in late November or early December. When the water temperature drops to near freezing, slabs of ice usually form first along a shoreline exposed to strong wind and waves. But rather than form as large uniform sheets, lake ice begins as irregular, flat chunks of ice scattered along the water's edge. Much of this ice is broken up over time by wind and wave action along the shore, and smaller chunks can float back out into the lake. If wind and wave are high, these chunks are quickly pushed back onshore forming an "ice foot" from the beach into the water. But, if the waves are small and wind light, some chunks move out into the lake. These floating chunks then become rounded into balls through their jostling in the waves. The iceballs then can migrate along the longshore until they melt or are again tossed back onshore. After time, grounded ice balls lose their rounded character and combine with other ice pieces to form the shore ice seen each winter. The observed ice balls likely picked up bits of weed and shells when they first froze on the shoreline.
That's meteorologist Keith Heidorn who lives in Victoria, British Columbia. The Weather Notebook is a production of the Mount Washington Observatory. Our show is underwritten by Subaru and the National Science Foundation.

This explains that the ice balls are just chunks of ice stuck together that form a really cool seascape. It looks like alien eggs!!! Mom and I looked up "ice foot" and we saw a big picture of a foot ice sculpture! I don't think that's what the man meant. 

We also found this cool video, showing how they are formed: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iupm6VHKoQU

Holy cow! The lake's gone bowling!!!!

See ya later! I gotta go learn!

p.s. that ice foot sculpture kinda looked like a barbarians foot!


8:15:

Well, today was fencing! It's a type of french sport. There is electric fencing. Electric fencing is when we put cables through our vests. After we put our cables in, we put on our LAME. (an electric vest for fencing that counts our points.)
I won a bout! I had 5 points to my coach's 4. I'm getting really good at one on one! I get nervous when there is a group. But, I'm working on it. Fencing is a hobby of mine. I love fencing! I think I'm going to stick to it.

School today was very good. I didn't to bake because I needed extra help on some work. Maybe Thursday because tomorrow I have dance. Momma found a creepy "work out" video. I was getting tired of working on the computer and she thought it would help me. It only made me run out of breath. Rats!

Stay tuned 'til tomorrow!! 

TO BE CONTINUED.....



9 comments:

  1. Alright I learned something new today, thanks for sharing your information William! Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting, indeed! Thanks for sharing. Aunt K.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting, indeed! Thanks for sharing. Aunt. K.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My hero. Love and hugs. Aunt Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey William...........that was a pretty interesting story about the ice balls......I'm going to go look up that video on the foot thing. Hey......I'm even learning!!!!!!!!!!!! Punkin

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. They will appear after they have been reviewed!