Tuesday, March 11, 2014

March 11, 2014 Putty

Hallo, Deutschland! Ich hoffe, Sie genießen mein Blog!

Today was too long!

I worked on math this morning. I am learning about symmetry. Symmetry is something that looks the same when you fold it. One of my favorite designs that was symmetrical was a star. Stars are beautiful and has 5 symmetrical lines. Here's something that's NOT symmetrical, my sister's head! I really liked working on this. It's part of geometry. Geometry is one of my favorite things. I like shapes. I understand them a bit more than numbers. I like shapes because I can see them. Numbers confuse me.

We went to the state park this afternoon. It was a field trip, get it??? WE SAW ROBINS!!!!!
I got a good picture of a robin
We walked down to the beach. The beach was very icy, sandy and wet. We saw gigantic ice and sand hills. I climbed to the top of one. It was hard! The sides were really steep. 
From the top!

Me climbing

Breath-taking view, huh?

Me near the top.

Dear Uncle Buck! We saw  A LOT of dear poop! You were right about how many deer are down there! Gee-sh! 

We saw a water fall near the ponds. And more scat. 


We made putty today! We made it with glue and liquid detergent. The chemical names are polyvinyl acetate and sodium tetraborate. This explains it better - we got this from http://www.omsi.edu/sites/all/FTP/files/chemistry/NH-PDF/NH-F1-ChooseOoze.pdf

Borax detergent has the chemical name sodium tetraborate 
(NaB4O7). In water, the molecules of sodium tetraborate 
separate into sodium (Na+) and borate B(OH)4- ions. The borate 
ion is formed like a large letter “X” with a boron atom in the 
center and four oxygen and hydrogen groups (–OH groups) 
extending from it. 
 
The borate ion is reactive and connects two different 
glue molecules. The –OH groups on the borate ion 
connect to acetate groups in the glue molecule. 
When this reaction happens across two glue 
molecules, the glue becomes cross-linked, and the 
glue molecules cannot slide past each other as 
easily. This makes the liquid glue change from an 
easily flowing liquid to a stiff ooze. 
 
 
 
 
 
 


Making the putty

mixing

almost to the final product

Final product!
It's still very sticky so we are waiting for it to dry. It feels like play-doh. I'm gonna try to play with it tomorrow. It was my most successful experiment.

gotta go to bed!

That's all for now.

Stay tuned 'til tomorrow!

TO BE CONTINUED...
vultures



2 comments:

Thank you for your comments. They will appear after they have been reviewed!