Wednesday, March 26, 2014

March 26, 2014 Crystals!


 http://video.about.com/chemistry/Borax-Crystal-Snowflakes.htm


That video above is about making crystal snowflakes using borax. You should try this out! It's really fun and only takes 1 night and a few minutes to crystallize.

Here's what borax is....the chemical name for borax is sodium tetraborate. The box below shows the percent of each element. Borax has boron in it. Boron is used for many things. Borax is in your detergent. Boron is used to control nuclear reactions. Boron is important food for all green plants. Boron is the metal section on the periodic table but is not a metal. It is a metalloid - it just thinks it's a metal. Boron is very confused and complicated. But, it makes crystals.

Percent composition by element

Element  Symbol  Atomic Mass  # of Atoms  Mass Percent
SodiumNa22.989770212.056%
HydrogenH1.00794205.286%
BoronB10.811411.339%
OxygenO15.99941771.319%








mixing in the borax
adding coloring


sit and wait


Hay!

crystal!

kinda all over the glass. 

a red one

This experiment actually worked!!!! I'll do more of these...


I went to ballet and chess today. 

I decided that I want to go to the spring chess/soccer program. I want try and go to chess competition. I want to ask my coach if I'm good enough. I have to play a lot of chess before I compete.  

In ballet I did some barre work. And we practiced our end of year dance. At the end of the year there is a [conservatory] show. We're in it! I'm excited about it! It'll be at Nichols school in Buffalo. People should come and see me! 

That's all for now...

Stay tuned 'til tomorrow.

TO BE CONTINUED...

This is from Lilly:

4 comments:

  1. Hey bug did you get the idea from pintrests, that's pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We googled things to do with borax since we now have a huge box of it....lol

      Delete
  2. I tried that once with the kids I used to babysit, but our crystals didn't come out as good as yours. My favorite thing to do with Borax is make Flubber!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. They will appear after they have been reviewed!