Tuesday, February 11, 2014

What it's like. February 11, 2014

**Editor's note: Today William is going to talk about what it feels like to have Autism/Asperger's/NLD. I think it's important to see things through his eyes. We are doing this because of a Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/Coliniseleven. I encourage everyone to go on this kids page and wish him a happy 11th birthday. And Please read the article on him. It's eye opening.**

I have Asperger's. Having Asperger's is sorta normal for me. But my having Asperger's is a big deal for others.

The bad stuff is that I get picked on a lot by friends I didn't know I have. Having a conversation with someone my age is very, very hard. They just walk away from me. And they don't even say a word. Sometimes I felt like they included me, but sometimes I felt I was excluded. Lunch, when I sat near the boys, they would just run away. They would just tell me I was creepy. Especially my enemies.

Asperger's makes it hard for me to understand math. I just don't get it. It makes me feel aggravated. In school during math,  I wanted to scream, yell, rip my papers to pieces, break the windows and throw my math teacher out the window. I didn't, but I wanted to.

I see the world differently from you out there reading my blog. I hear a lot more noise. Big sounds give me a big headache. I cover my ears a lot when we are in loud places. Bright lights bother me because they hurt my eyes. I don't like tight clothing. I makes me feel like I'm being squeezed like a boa constrictor. When cartoons bother me, it's because my imagination thinks they are real. Sometimes I want to leave the movie theater because the movie makes me paranoid.Nighttime, I think aliens are real.

Sometimes I get angry at a lot of things. One thing I get angry at is when my favorite amusement park is closed.

That's all that really bothers me about having Asperger's.

Now for the good things.

I'm very, very smart. I love reading. I go through about 6 books a week, depending how hard they are. It took me about 4 months to read The Hobbit and The Fellowship of the Ring. But they are big books. I also read The George series by Steven Hawkings. But, my favorite books are Geronimo Stilton.

My imagination is fun! It has everything in it. It has all of outer space including earth in it. I remember I used to invite my Mommy into my imagination.

I like hugs, A LOT. I'm a hugger. I look at the world by chemistry. Chemistry is my thing.

Asperger's is unique. It makes anybody that has it unique. It's good and bad. It has it's times. I like to stay the way I am. And sometimes, I wish I could change myself. I'll talk about that another day.

Stay tuned 'til tomorrow.

TO BE CONTINUED...
To infinity and beyond!!!!

16 comments:

  1. You are truly amazing, I wouldn't have you any other way. love you to the moon and back...Aunt Donna ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear William........you know what? I had trouble with math in school, too! Although I don't have Asperger's, I felt the same way you did. It was very hard for me to know what the math teacher was talking about. Like you, I love to read, too. I think you're perfect just the way you are! You're my hero!! Love, Punkin

    ReplyDelete
  3. William,
    You read up to 6 books a week....that's amazing !!! Even though you have a hard time with math other people have a hard time reading books and its sounds like you are great at that. Great job buddy !

    ReplyDelete
  4. You give great hugs! I am very proud to tell people what a good reader you are. I would venture to guess there aren't many 9 year olds who have read Steven Hawkings or The Hobbit or The Fellowship of the Rings. What accomplishments! Stay true to yourself, be happy in your achievements. The expectations of other 9 year olds are inconsequential. Love you much! -- Aunt K.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Aunt K - Really?? I'm glad you're proud of me! William

      Delete
  5. Willbill you are my best buddy and always will be! Love you... Dad...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your are truly awesome boy and they should accept special people into the world I deal with the struggles of my child being different too hope u have a good day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thank you! I hope you have a good day too. May I have your name? William

      Delete
  7. Hey William. Thank you for sharing how you feel. Since I am in Wisconsin, I don't get to see you or your sister much. I'm glad that you are doing well overall and seem to have a good understanding of what comes easy to you and what you struggle with. Just keep focused as best you can and more and more things will come easier for you. We are proud of you and look forward to reading your blog and hearing about your daily growth as a person. Uncle Ken

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Uncle K! I'm glad you enjoy it! Say Hi to everybody! Lilly says Hi too and wants to know when you are coming again?
    William

    ReplyDelete
  9. William..Just read your blog today. I love you just the way you are. You are perfect in my eyes.I read a lot of books also.. I never met a smart person who didn't read a lot. Keep up the good work. Love you...Grandpa

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. They will appear after they have been reviewed!